has over the years proved to be the ideal location for foreign investors.
Industrialists from all over the world found the necessary conditions
which allow them to flourish on the island. The main advantages of Mauritius
- A stable political and social environment where both the ruling party
and the opposition are on the same wavelength as regards the industrial
policy in the country.
- A buoyant economy, committed to free enterprise, where the Government
limits its role to investment in infrastructural and institutional facilities,
thereby leaving productive investment in the hands of the business community.
- A dynamic private sector that welcomes joint ventures with overseas
- Guarantee against nationalization. Overseas investors can have up
to 100% control of the equity of an enterprise.
- Complete liberisation of the economy, with virtually no foreign exchange
- A stable currency linked to a basket of currencies reflecting the
trade patterns of the country.
- A well educated, adaptable and productive labour force fluent in both
English and French.
- Excellent institutional support services in terms of banking and finance,
insurance, shipping, the newly created offshore business centre and
free port facilities.
- Well developed infrastructural facilities, including a good road network,
reliable electricity and water supply, modern internal and external
communications and up-to-date harbour and airport facilities.
- Excellent sea and air connections with the rest of the world.
- Favourable market access to: Europe, North America, Japan, Australia,
- Availability of factory buildings and fully serviced land at reasonable
rates. A modern informatics park fitted with the most sophisticated
infrastructural facilities has recently been set up for teleport and
- Well tailored training programmes for specific sectors co-ordinated
by the Industrial and Vocational Training Board ( IVTB).
- Availability of residence and work permits to promoters and foreign
technicians. Up to 2 expatriate staff of an EPZ company are entitled
to a tax credit of 50% of the income tax payable on the emoluments derived
from the company.
- A well balanced package of fiscal incentives to export enterprises
including free repatriation of profits, dividends and invested capital.
- A sound industrial base with emphasis on continuous modernisation
of existing industries and investment in sophisticated techniques of
- A peaceful place to live and work.
Mauritius believes in the right investments in the right
areas and the sectors which are being promoted have been identified on
the basis of in-depth studies conducted by independent international consultants.
The studies which cover the engineering, printing, electronics,
plastics, jewellery and information technology sectors have revealed good
possibilities in these industrial activities. The recommended projects
and other sectors are reviewed below:
Engineering activities cover a wide range of operations, especially products
geared towards the PTA market region.
A. PRECISION ENGINEERING PRODUCTS
- Dies & moulds
- Machine tool components
- Tool sets
- Satellite dishes
- Support activities in engineering such as maintenance of moulds
B. FABRICATED METAL PRODUCTS
- Household appliances
- Precision sheet metal products such as metal enclosures for
electronic and electrical equipment.
Agricultural machinery for example:
- Equipment for construction industry, e.g. concrete mixers, wheel barrows
and light vehicles such as dumpers
- Ship repairs
- Sugar factory parts
D. AUTOMOTIVE PARTS & COMPONENTS
- Gasket sets
- Shock absorbers
- Brake linings and pads
E. LIGHT ENGINEERING PRODUCTS
- Brass locks, padlocks, door knobs etc
- Electric fans
- Air conditioners
- Gas cylinders
- Water pumps
- Dental equipment
- Sugar factory spare parts/Parts and components
- Electrical tranformers
- Pats & components for motorcycles and bicycles
- Fire extinguishers
II. PRINTING AND PUBLISHING
The printing and publishing includes all activities that contribute
in the production of prints and printed material namely - conception,
origination, graphic reproduction, colour separation, pre-press and post-press
- Desk top publishing
- Graphic design and layout
- Colour separation
B. PRESS WORKS
- Print finishing
- Quick print
- Security print
Mauritian EPZ companies are already manufacturing electronic
products for the export market, for example, quartz crystal blanks, electronic
measuring devices, printed circuit boards, TV sets, VCRs and electronic
A. CONSUMER ELECTRONICS
- Assembly of audio and video products
- Household electrical appliances
B. OFFICE ELECTRONICS
- Computer peripherals and components
- Telecommunication equipment
C. ELECTRONICS SECURITY SYSTEMS
- Components for emergency lighting systems
- Security control panels
- Delay lines
- Electronic instruments
- Printed circuit boards